Monday, July 18, 2011

Handwritten Recipes and Comfort Food: Roast


There are few things more special in my kitchen than the handwritten recipes I have from family members. This particular one happens to be one of my husband's favorites: my mother-in-law's roast recipe. She has a very simple way of making this comforting dish, and I've taken to putting my spin on things.

I used:
A Roast (whatever looks best at your grocery, I got a tender chuck roast, but regular chuck/sirloin will do)
Garlic Salt/Black Pepper/whatever herbs you like
Olive Oil
Beef Broth
Red Wine
Whatever veggies you have in your fridge
A Dutch Oven (Or roasting pan)

I started by heating the olive oil in the roasting pan or dutch oven (just enough to halfway cover the bottom of the pan); then preheated the oven to 325
Then I covered the roast in garlic salt (not too much, you can always add), black pepper, and dried herbs (I used only Thyme this time because it's all I had). I browned the roast on all sides, then added around 1 cup of beef broth and 1/2 cup of red wine (add whatever will come up about 1/3 to the top of your roast). Next, I covered the roast and placed it in the oven for 1 hour

After an hour, I took it out to check it- I like to flip the meat over to make sure the broth and wine get into every little crevice! You may also want to add more beef broth at this point if you like a lot of sauce.

Meanwhile, I chopped up vegetables (organic carrots, onions, and new potatoes)- If you want to get super healthy, go with chopped sweet potatoes; you can substitute any vegetables you want, green beans, parsnips, etc.; then set them aside

After the second hour, I added the vegetables into the roasting pot or dutch oven, and kept cooking for another hour (or until the meat is done **this means fork tender**)
I had to bump my oven up to 375 for an extra half hour since I didn't put the vegetables in until later.
Note: if you like super soft vegetables, add them when the roast has 2 hours left to cook

This is even better as leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment