Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fish with Farmer's Market Finds and Lemon Risotto


We attended the Hollygrove Market on Saturday and I discovered their "Produce Box", which is full of the freshest selections from the week. You can log on and find out "What's In the Box" for the week, and this one included: peaches; okra; blueberries; pink eyed peas; radishes; tomatoes; watermelon; bell pepper; key limes; Japanese eggplants, and shiitake mushrooms. I wanted to grab it, a) because it was only $25, and b) because it had vegetables in it that I'd never tried to cook before.

I started by finding a recipe online to use the pink eyed peas, radishes, and tomatoes. This fresh pea salad seemed like the perfect fit, although I didn't have the mint that it called for, but it turned out fine. I just boiled the peas for around 25 minutes, rinsed and drained them, then tossed them with thinly sliced radishes and tomatoes in white vinegar (since I didn't have the rice vinegar), lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. I chilled it in the fridge while I prepared the rest of the meal.


Next, I started on the risotto. I found one of Giada de Laurentiis' recipes for Lemon Risotto, as a compliment the fish I was going to make. This was such a great side, and I had plenty left over for later meals! (I, however, did not cut out lemons and serve it the way she suggests...)
For this, I boiled 4 cups of chicken broth with some lemon juice. Then in another saucepan, I sauteed 1 medium sized onion, chopped (I forgot to buy shallots). I added the Arborio rice to that saucepan, along with the wine, and some extra S&P. Once the wine evaporated, I started adding the broth 1/2 c at a time, allowing it to be absorbed by the rice. Once I'd added it all, I removed the risotto from the heat, and added about 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, and about 1/2 the amount of "MascarPON-ay" that Giada suggests. A little lemon zest made it a little too zesty, so I added some Agave nectar to counter it.

Meanwhile, I pulled some fresh trout out of the freezer, defrosted very shortly, and placed serving sizes onto foil squares. I added all the seasonings I like on fish: lemon juice; thyme; olive oil; worcestershire sauce, and S&P.

Then I wrapped them individually on a cookie sheet, and baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

I sauteed some collard greens with olive oil, S&P and 1 tbsp of butter, and the were the perfect bed for the fish.
The juices that are made with the fish when it bakes should also not go to waste, I was able to pour them over the fish and the risotto, which added a lot of flavor.



1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to convince myself to cook risotto for the longest time. It always seemed like such an involved task, but you make it seem easy! Maybe I'll try it next week.

    ReplyDelete