Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie (Healthy Style)

One of Mike's favorite dinners is Chicken Pot Pie. Usually this is a calorie filled dish, but with the slight changes made in Bethenny's recipe from "Skinnygirl Dish" and smart choices, it can be very nutritious and satisfying!

I started out by boiling around 1lb of boneless/skinless chicken breasts in mostly water, with some chicken broth added. Once it was sufficiently cooked, I pulled it out and had Mike shred it with two forks, and set it aside (every once in a while he needs to have a job in the kitchen...).
Next, I pulled out 2 c frozen peas, around 2 stalks of celery chopped, 1 medium chopped onion, and 2 c of frozen carrots (recipe calls for 1 c of each frozen veggie but I like to double).

I preheated the oven to 400, and combined the chicken, vegetables, celery, and onion, then added a cup of chicken broth and cooked it around 10 minutes (until the carrots were soft); then I added some garlic salt and black pepper to season it to taste.

Next, I pulled out another saucepan (even though I really like one pot meals, this one is worth it) and combined 2/3 c of wheat flour (you can use oat or quinoa flour, too) and 1/3 c of chicken broth. I whisked it together then added 1/3 c of soy milk and kept whisking til it was smooth. Then I cooked it over medium until it turned out looking like this:
(It gets sticky)
I added 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, and some extra garlic salt and pepper. Then I added this mixture to the chicken and vegetables and incorporated it fully.

Next, I opened up the whole wheat pie crust I got from Whole Foods (in the freezer section by the desserts), and poured the chicken/vegetable mixture into the bottom one.
Then, I placed the second pie crust on top and pressed down on the edges to seal it. If you have a super hot oven, you can cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning. I made some vents in the top of the pie (for authenticity's sake), and baked it for 35 minutes.

Once I removed it, I let it sit for 20 minutes (or longer, if you can stand it), sliced it into pie slices, and served with a side salad. It is so full of veggies, you don't even really need a side. I usually wrap it in individual servings and freeze for leftovers, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment