Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chicken with Beans and Broccoli Rabe


So yesterday, I forgot we weren't eating dinner at home, and marinated chicken breasts in garlic, white wine, olive oil, salt and pepper. I don't know how much of each, I didn't measure. I sliced them in half and made around 3 pieces from each breast so that they'd be thinner, and I poked holes in them throughout with a fork.
By accident, they marinated for almost two days... Um, I don't think this affected them...
I took them out and dried them off on a cutting board, then dipped them in wheat flour, then a Panko/Italian Bread Crumb/Garlic Salt concoction before simmering them in olive oil in a heated cast iron skillet.

After they were browned on both sides (around 6 minutes per side), I removed them from the heat and placed them into a casserole dish, tented with foil, and put them into the oven (on 350) for 15 minutes... This may have been a little too long, but I'm neurotic about cooking chicken...

Meanwhile, I chopped up broccoli rabe and steamed it...

After I removed the chicken from the cast iron skillet, I had all this leftover olive oil. I was inspired by this recipe from Food & Wine, so I kept the pan heated and added 1 small chopped yellow onion, and some garlic. I sauteed that for a few minutes (until the onion was clear), and added some leftover Canellini beans, 1 can of pinto beans, and a small can of tomato puree (because Mike doesn't like tomatoes).
I let that simmer for a little while, then I thought it was too thick, so I added a little water, as well as some rosemary, and 2 chopped, small Chipotle peppers.

I served myself a beet salad with goat cheese, walnuts, and a homemade lemon/balsamic vinaigrette dressing to start.


The finished product turned out quite nicely, although, only adding garlic salt and pepper to the broccoli rabe didn't do it justice. I've done the greens before and sauteed them with garlic, one tbsp of butter, and some olive oil and they came out much better. The chicken turned out great, and the bean mixture was a hit. Mike, in fact, described it as having a slight "barbecue taste"...When I mentioned that was not really what I was going for, he proclaimed, "Well, Christopher Columbus was not setting out to discover America, either..." Chomp on that knowledge nugget... I think it was the chipotles that made the slight smokey flavor, but they were a great addition. I was also able to save the leftovers so that I can maybe mix it with the chicken and make a lunch out of it tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment