Monday, August 22, 2011

Turkey Osso Buco

On Sundays, I prefer to have a more labor-intensive cooking day because it's one of the days I have time to spend in the kitchen. This past Sunday, we were having my dad over for dinner, so I decided to cook Giada's Turkey Osso Buco. It tastes so delicious, and makes even better leftovers, so even though it's a little intense, it's SO worth it!

You'll need:
1/2 breast of turkey (cut into 3 pieces) and 2 turkey thighs (if you like the dark meat)
S&P
1/3 c flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 medium to large onion (yellow), chopped
As many carrots and celery stalks as you'd like (recipe calls for 1 each but I usually at least quadruple it for extra veggies)- put those in the mini-chop, too
Tomato paste (recipe calls for 1 tbsp, but again, I at least doubled it to thicken the sauce)
1c (or so) of dry white wine
4 c chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
Rosemary, Thyme, bay leaves, and garlic (lots of garlic)



I started by chopping (in the food processor) 4 carrots (peeled), 1 onion, and 3 stalks of celery


Next, I cut the turkey breast and dried it with the turkey thighs with a paper towel. Then I covered them with salt and pepper and dredged them in all-purpose flour.












Next, I heated up my roasting pan with some vegetable oil and browned the turkey on both sides for about 6-7 minutes each over medium heat.
Once the turkey was browned, I removed it and placed it on a plate. I added all my chopped vegetables, along with S&P, oregano, thyme, and rosemary (all dried because I didn't have it fresh), and cooked the vegetables until they were tender (~5 minutes).
Next, I added 1c of white wine, and let it simmer. I forgot to add the tomato paste until after I'd already put the turkey back in... but it worked out ok.

Once it was done simmering and reduced by about half, I put the turkey pieces back into the sauce, and added about 1/2 small can of tomato paste, 3 cloves of garlic, and enough vegetable broth to cover 2/3 of the turkey pieces. I covered it tightly with foil and baked for 1hr and 50 minutes, turning the turkey pieces about halfway through.

It turned out great and everyone was really pleased. My substitution of vegetable broth actually made it a little less rich, which was a good alternative to an otherwise filling dish. This is a healthy way to have some comfort food, and the leftovers are outstanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment