Friday, August 5, 2011

Asian Invasion: Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry

I recently subscribed to "Cooking Light" and received my first issue (August 2011) in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I was really excited about this recipe for Rice Noodle Salad, since earlier in the week I'd sauteed some vegetables from the Farmer's market with sesame oil and soy sauce, so I had some extra bulk to add to the dish. (Seen below are carrots, mini eggplant, okra, mushrooms and onion.)

Since Mike would likely not eat tempeh, I decided to substitute chicken. I sliced about 1 1/2 lbs of chicken, and sauteed it in a little bit of toasted sesame oil in a separate pan. Then, I sauteed garlic and shallots in another pan, added eggs, the soy sauce mixture (vegetable broth, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha) and the cooked chicken. I also added some shelled edamame from my freezer, and sauteed it all until it came to a boil.
At the same time, I boiled some Wheat Udon noodles I found at Whole Foods, then drained them and tossed them in a little bit of sesame oil.
Next, I added the noodles and bean sprouts to the pan, and let it all simmer for a few minutes.


I skipped all the toppings the recipe suggests, except for the lime, since I had a key lime left over from our Farmer's market trip.
I topped it with some Toasted Sesame Seeds, and it was very well received. I saved the leftovers and will add my other sauteed vegetables to it for lunch later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment