Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Panko-Crusted Salmon with Orzo and Mango Salsa

You'll need:
Salmon filets (I used 2)
Soy sauce (~3 tbsp)
Toasted Sesame Oil (~1 tbsp)
Worcestershire (~1 tsp)
Wasabi powder (~1 tsp)
[Wheat] Panko Bread Crumbs (~1/4 c)
Toasted Sesame Seeds (~2 tbsp)
Edamame (or green peas, or any other vegetables of your choosing)
Boxed orzo pasta (really fancy, right?)

For the salsa:
1 mango (peeled and chopped)
1 avocado
1/2 red onion (small)
apple cider vinegar (~1 tsp)
olive oil (to taste)
agave nectar (to taste)

This super easy salmon dish only took around 30 minutes (because that's how long the rice took...) to make and tasted way more decadent than the work it took to prepare.

I started by following the directions on my multi-grain boxed rice with orzo pasta (which consisted of "pour rice into boiling water, add seasoning packet, let simmer for 32-37 minutes")...
While that chef-created masterpiece was simmering, I mixed the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and worcestershire in a bowl, and marinated the salmon filets for around 20 minutes (flipping after 10).
Next, I mixed the panko, wasabi powder, and toasted sesame seeds in another bowl, and dipped the salmon into it, hoping it would stick... it did.

I added some olive oil to a non-stick skillet, and while that was heating, I worked on a little mango/avocado/red onion salsa. I simply mixed all the ingredients in a small tupperware container (knowing I'd want to save the leftovers), and shook it up.

I cooked the salmon for around 5 minutes on each side, and they were done perfectly! Such an easy and healthy option for dinner, I often will cook a salmon filet when Mike chooses to have steak. But this made a perfect dish for girls' night at my house, and was very well received!



1 comment: