Sunday, November 27, 2011

Whole Wheat, Three-Cheese Lasagna

I was bored today, and it was really dreary outside, so I decided to throw together a lasagna. It was easy because I could assemble it, then refrigerate it until we were about an hour away from being ready for dinner (great for guests because of this, too).
If you want, you can use this recipe (I've done it before and it's fabulous), but for mine...

You'll need:
1 1/2 packages whole wheat lasagna noodles (uncooked)
15 oz 1/2 fat ricotta
2 eggs
1 bunch of parsley
Italian seasoning/oregano
basil
1 bag of mozzarella
1 package chicken or turkey sausage
1 medium onion (chopped)
chopped garlic
1 jar tomato sauce


I started by putting into the food processor: ricotta cheese, parsley, basil (about 4-5 leaves), oregano, italian seasoning, and 2 eggs.

My family recipe calls to make your own sauce, but I just wasn't up for it today, so I bought some in a jar.

I sauteed the chopped onion in some olive oil until it was translucent, then added the chicken sausage, garlic, and some more Italian seasoning.

Next, I added the jar of tomato sauce, and a little bit of water to stretch it a little further. I let that simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors soak in.

Next, I started layering. I put enough sauce on the bottom to cover the pan, then placed (UNCOOKED) lasagna noodles across in a layer...I know what you're thinking, just trust me, it works.
Then I put the ricotta mixture, added a little goat cheese and mozzarella, and continued with the sauce.

Rinse and repeat.
I topped it off with a little more goat cheese, and some basil leaves. Then I put it into the oven at 425, covered with foil for 45 minutes.
I uncovered it and baked another 15 minutes (until the top was bubbling).
Let it sit for around 10-15 minutes, and it's a great meal with TONS of leftovers!





1 comment:

  1. EJB!
    I didn't know you started a blog-- or had such awesome cooking skills. WOW. Namee would be proud. ;) My mouth is watering just looking at this. yumm.

    See you at Christmas Eve dinner at your mom's??

    Congratulations on the precious new house, too! It's so adorable.

    xoxo
    Katie ;)

    ReplyDelete