Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dry-Fried Tofu and Vegetables

I received an email from Women's Health with a few healthy fall recipes and found this one for Dry-Fried Tofu with Pumpkin Curry. Well, I didn't have any pumpkin, nor did I have some of the other vegetables it called for, so I improvised.
For my version, you'll need:
1 package extra firm tofu
canola oil
1/2 red onion (chopped)
1 jalapeno (seeded and chopped)
garlic
kale
1 package frozen butternut squash (substituted for pumpkin)
S&P
frozen edamame (as much as you like)
1 c light coconut milk
1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp red curry paste
2 tsp Splenda brown sugar
4 tsp fish sauce

I started out by steaming a big bunch of kale.

While that was boiling, I put a little bit of cooking spray in my non-stick skillet and let that heat up. I dried the tofu (just put it on a paper towel for a few minutes), chopped it up, and salt and peppered both sides. Then I added it to the pan and let it cook for a few minutes per side.

Once the kale had boiled down, I added the butternut squash and edamame and let that steam a little longer (feel free to add whatever vegetables you have on hand).

Next, I sauteed the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and red curry paste with some more canola oil.

Finally, I just added everything to my wok, and added the coconut milk, fish sauce, and chicken broth. I let that simmer until it thickened (about 5 minutes) and served over brown rice. It turned out to be very flavorful, and extra healthy. This was definitely a recipe I'd choose to do again, since so many of the ingredients can be substituted.
I topped it with some slivered almonds for extra crunch, and the red Sriracha sauce for a little extra spice!

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally making this! I try to find recipes with tofu that I think Chase will eat :)

    ReplyDelete