Sunday, November 20, 2011

Holiday Salads

I've been asked to bring an appetizer and some dessert to our Thanksgiving festivities this year, and in going to the grocery, I've begun buying all of the different types of squash that are on sale.
This week I made two different salads, both with fall flavors, and will likely repeat one to bring for the holidays.

For the first salad, I used:
Raw Spinach
Craisins
1 Sliced Honeycrisp Apple
Walnuts
Celery
Feta Cheese
Dressing made from lemon juice and olive oil

Since I made this one for lunch, I added some rotisserie chicken to it, but all of the flavors felt like fall. The celery added some extra crunch, and the spinach was just the right bold flavor to add. Adding some arugula and subtracting the chicken could make this an impressive, colorful side for the holidays.


My next salad stemmed from buying a Acorn Squash and trying to be inventive with it.
For this salad I used:
1 Acorn Squash (peeled)
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar
Nutmeg
Agave Nectar
Sage Leaves
Canned Beets (use the fresh kind if you have the time)
Walnuts

Since I was making this one as a meal, I added some roasted tofu.

I peeled and sliced the acorn squash, then put it on a baking sheet. I drizzled some Agave nectar, and a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the top of the squash. Next, I added the fresh sage leaves and stuck it in the oven at 350 for around 35-40 minutes, until it had softened. (I also put my tofu in with it since I didn't want to dirty another pan).

Once finished, I chopped the squash into cubes, and put it on top of a bed of lettuce with my tofu, beets, feta, craisins, and some snap pea crisps for a little crunch.
If I choose to recreate this one, I'll roast the beets with the squash, and omit the tofu and snap pea crisps, as well as the feta. It turned into a few too many ingredients, but isn't it all trial and error??


Happy cooking, I hope you all enjoy this time with your families!


No comments:

Post a Comment