Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sauteed Pork with Granny Smith Apples

We were having a couple of friends over for dinner, so I decided (again) to make a dish that wouldn't keep me from my company. Lo and behold, the easiest dish to serve! I chose Real Simple's recipe for Pork with Sauteed Granny Smith Apples because it always turns out delicious, and it's not labor intensive.

You'll need:
Flour (I used wheat) 2 tbsp
Ground Cumin (1 tsp)
S&P
Pork Cutlets (however many you're serving, I usually do around 2/person)
Canola oil
Butter (1 tbsp)
Granny Smith Apples
Low-sodium Chicken Broth (1/2 - 3/4 c)
White Wine Vinegar
White Wine
Shallots ???
Cornstarch (~1-2 tbsp)

I started by rubbing the pork cutlets with S&P, flour and cumin on both sides.

Next, I heated the canola oil (however much you want to use) in the pan, sliced the apples in half, sprinkled them with S&P,and put them face down for around 3-5 minutes.

Once the apples were browned, I took them out and put them on my display plate. Then I added the pork, with a little more Canola Oil, and browned it on both sides (around 4 minutes each side).

I removed the pork, put it in a casserole dish with tented foil, and stuck it into the oven at a low 200, just to keep it warm.
Next, I added the white wine to deglaze the pan; then, white wine vinegar, some shallots (because I had them), and cornstarch to thicken up the sauce. I let that simmer for around 5 minutes, then poured it into a serving dish to put onto the table!

I served the pork with the apples, a side of asparagus, and some mashed sweet potatoes. It was a great dish, requiring very little effort from me, and a lot of payoff!


No comments:

Post a Comment